Over the past few years, I have developed a great love for food. But I am not just talking about any food. I am talking about real food. The kind that comes from nature, the kind that fills and nourishes us and the kind that is wild and beautiful. When I started my journey to health, my list of kitchen essentials would have looked very different. I used to consume a diet that was high in processed foods and sugars – a diet that was making my body sick.
The following is a list of my favourite food items that I keep stocked in my kitchen at all times. Many of the recipes included on Wild Beautiful Life incorporate these ingredients to make delicious and nutritious meals. Now, I am not suggesting that you go out and buy all of the items on this list but I am suggesting that you start to explore the amazing things that these foods have to offer. Having these items on hand keeps me happy and healthy and I encourage you to get familiar with them and find which ones works for you.
“One simple rule. If it came from a plant, eat it. If it is made in a plant, don’t.” – Michael Pollan.
- Brussel sprouts
- Green apples
- Pretty much everything else (these are just a few that I cannot live without).
Grains & seeds
- Chia seeds
- Hemp hearts
- Brown Rice
- Rice Pasta
- Raw cacao
- Brown rice flour
- Shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- Coconut sugar
- Oats (organic, gluten free)
- Coconut oil (cold pressed, unrefined)
- Coconut milk (unsweetened, carrageenan free)
- Olive oil (cold pressed, unrefined)
- Spices: pink himalayan rock salt, black pepper, basil, paprika, chilli powder…
- Apple cider vinegar
- Ginger root, turmeric root, garlic bulbs
- Rice crackers
- Nuts: walnuts, pecans, almonds
- Seeds: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
- Nut butters: almond butter
- Edamame (roasted with sea salt)
- Green tea & matcha powder (strong anti-cancer effects)
- Rooibos tea (herbal and full of magnesium)
- Lemon ginger tea (find my recipe for Warming Lemon Ginger Tea here)
- Mint leaf tea (digestive tea)
- Organic coffee
- Dark chocolate (85% or above)
- Coconut milk icecream
So there you have it – a list of my favorite things and can’t live withouts. The foods mentioned above are all straight from the goodness of nature and can do tremendous things to heal the body. Of course, every person is different and we each need to work to find which foods work best for us (you can read more about My Food Philosophy here). I want to know…what are your wild, beautiful kitchen essentials?